Monday, July 09, 2007

Van's Allure 2

For some reason (I am a strange cookie in many other ways, too), I don't prefer to work on the entirety of my story alone, then surprise everybody. I like to muse on something for a while, bounce ideas off a buddy, come back and do more revisions, then post. Adding a perspective has only worked out in my experience for the better.

Chocolatelova's been busy and it seems bad to bother her with my story when she doesn't have time to do her own, but perhaps I'll try catching her online D: My principal conflict is still ill-formed and so blah. blah blah blah.


Well, on to the non-whiny part of the post.

As I have mentioned before, Van's greatest attraction is the juxtaposition of his seriousness and his boyish self. To me, the boyish self is actually his natural self--selfish and a little spoiled, but with eagerness and full emotions--the self that comes out in front of Folken when they were young, in front of his mother, in front of Balgus, in front of Hitomi. The seriousness is his attempt to be a man, to be a king.

At the end of Esca, we are frustrated not only because V+H never really gets together, but also because we are left with a glimpse of an emerging Van, close on a path to balance between his two halves.

(I always thought of Van as the main character, actually.)

So one of the items I am exploring for DS is completion of this duality. A lot of fanfics on ff portray Van despising his burdensome responsibilities, but I don't think Van ever thought about it as a choice. He was born to be a king. His public and private lives are so enmeshed in him that they have instead become two intertwining parts of his personality. Duty is his life. But he is also just a man.

(I hope I will be able to do it. I really like writing Van.)

(Sometimes I feel like I write better essays than prose ; ; I write very pretentiously, I suppose.)


I forgot from where I grabbed this . It looks like a scan or a rough filter, but still a perfect Van.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah. Who wouldn't love that handsome face? xD I have to agree with you about Van. He is such a fascinating character. I want to read more about his unique personality, and I'm quite sure you'll be able to explore more deeply that side of him. ;D

jomiel said...

Thanks for the confidence :D

Just sent you an email. Unfortunately I don't do as well in writing conflict or dialogue, so I hope perhaps you'll be able to help me out of my hole.

It's a deep one :(

Anonymous said...

Isn't that pic a screencap of the ending?

How can I help you with DS? I'm more than willing.

jomiel said...

The "of the sky" at the bottom of the picture makes me lean towards it being compiled in an Esca art collection book rather than a color filter off a screencap.

But you're right, it's the same image as the ending credits. (Who can forget "Van in the rain"? ;D Though I am not on my home computer to compare with my screenshot exactly.)

Anonymous said...

Even my friends who do not watch Esca were totally gaga over that picture of Van in the rain. :)

jomiel said...

Van is just universally cute.