Thursday, March 08, 2007

Doujinshi 4

The Love&Peace website/blog by the Japanese doujinshi artist Tajima Minato has relocated due to foreigners using her work without permission. That made me very sad, and also made me think about my own posts of doujinshi images here. Although my intention is to promote their work, it's still using their work without permission. I'm not sure what my answer is yet, since for the most part I've only posted coverpages.

But some of their restrictions are unreasonably severe--one circle asks for readers to not download any images at all and delete ones they already have. On the technical side, there's no real way to restrict the user from saving images, since the images have already been downloaded when the page loaded, and the act of saving it into a folder different from temporary internet files is merely on the browser side. Even if the page disables right-clicking, there are ways to get around it. (And it also makes page navigation a hindrance, grr.) On the human nature side, people like to collect beautiful things.

And really, there's no good prevention of fraud and theft on the web. A lot of utilities and programs are actually designed for the downloader in mind, and prevent other people from seeing the real download. There is a Chinese saying "Boundaries higher by a feet, Lawlessness higher by a yard". I believe that we have to take good preparation to protect ourselves, and then trust the rest.

As for Love&Peace, I'm ambivalent. It's true that websites shouldn't scan and publish her doujinshi, but then, it's so difficult for us out of Japan to get our hands on her work that I can't help but cherish websites like Herya. (warning: explicit art.)

Is there a middle ground? I'm not sure.

Her new book that I'd love to get to read:

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I went to that website one? Can we still access her new one?

jomiel said...

Yes, if you go to her previous site, there's a secret that will take you there. I figured that if she went to such trouble to hide it, I shouldn't give out the new link directly. But it's not hard, and an online Japanese dictionary should prove useful.

Also, the Herya site has many of her new images. I'm thinking about contacting that girl (Oh, I'm so bad :( ).

Anonymous said...

Now that I've checked it out, I'm wondering...

what's a doujinshi?

At first I thought it was just books with fanart or something like that. But now it looks like it's like making a whole new manga book with those characters. O_O I am so confused!

But the images are REALLY beautiful!

jomiel said...

Here's the wiki definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doujinshi

There are also books that are just collections of fanart, but the ones that continue into fanfiction are more popular. And just like fanfiction, it can be continuation, within the original story, or AU. There are also different names for how adult the content is. In Japan doujinshi is a big deal, and some artists actually transition into real manga publication (like CLAMP. and the character designer for Esca is a doujinshi artist).

Anonymous said...

Hi. The images from the doujinshi are nice but a little, well, explicit. ^_^' I'm not used to seeing Van and Hitomi like that. Btw,is there any way you can post some scans from that doujinshi by Nobuteru Yuuki? I think that's the book with a Van in front and Hitomi in the back cover. They are holding a green cape. I was told that the art there is really beautiful. Thanks.

jomiel said...

Unfortunately, I don't have the doujinshi by Nobuteru Yuuki. A while ago someone was selling it on ebay, but it was much more than I'm prepared to spend on Esca items D: But there's a couple of scans in the auction if you come across it.

Sincerity said...

When it comes to people sharing art on the web... I can see the argument from both sides. But personally I think it is impossible to stop people from finding ways to take a few images.

Personally, I would not let that bother me. I would be very happy that others enjoyed my work and wanted to keep some of it to enjoy.

I think maybe the real issue is profit. If others are taking your work, claiming it as their own, and then selling it... yeah that's really rotten. And I have seen some of that going around on the net.

But, really, how are can it be stopped? I think artists, if they have a good following, will always get paid for what they do regardless of unlawful behavior. And the majority of people do respect artists when they ask for folks to be considerate.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with what sincerity said.