Friday, March 16, 2007

Wings 2

I'm getting closer to actual writing progress, finally (after 4 months! I can't believe it's been so long. Where did all that time go?).

As I mentioned before, I tend to get great ideas right before I fall asleep, and then become torn between getting out of bed immediately to write it down or relying on my horrible memory and that invariably turns into "oh shit I had a really great idea yesterday but I can't remember what it is aggh~".

Anyway, yesterday night I thought up a good scene for ch6's end. Exciting. It'll be similar to ch4's end, except, well...you'll see :D I'm still deciding how dangerous I'd like to make it--spark or no spark between our antitheses of Romeo and Juliet. There are justifications for both possibilities, although my inclination is to go with my usual amusement based on Van's embarrassment and close calls. It's just much more fun that way.


I've been thinking about offering my extra Esca filmbooks as rewards for the Esca music project or as prizes for a little game within DS chs. I can't decide if it's my most brilliant idea or retardedly lame. Perhaps it depends on what the question is.


This picture (v) always shocks and confuses me. I'm always thinking: Why are they naked? Isn't Esca supposed to a teen series? And why isn't Van molting everywhere? It's confounding D:

Does my inner hopeless realist show through when I consider Van too gentlemanly to do anything like this inappropriate embrace within current confines of their relationship? (Oh man, I could write an entire essay on my views of V+H doujinshi I linked to the other day--part of me goes "I can't stop staring at the beautiful art" and the other part goes "no, no, Van, tell me it's not true. Noooo".) Or maybe it's actually because I'm too much an idealist to consider it in character with Van's dismal performance in ep19.

Nevertheless, the picture has inspired numerous fanfiction renditions of glorious wings in hugs and beds. And that's why I've vowed (yes, vowed!) there's none of that in DS. Wings are precious things, not meant for requests and displays. Wings mean more than dreams and flying. Wings should carry their own meanings of "deeper than the sky".

And let's stop there. It'll be so much better within its ch than here, I promise.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was also shocked the first time I saw this drawing. I was like "Are they really Van and Hitomi?!?" What do you think is the purpose or state of mind of the artist while drawing this?

jomiel said...

Hmm, the last DVD's title is supposed to be Eternal Love, I believe. I'm not sure if Nobuteru Yuuki or another artist drew the covers.

Anonymous said...

Nobuteru Yuuki is the artist of the covers. These and his other works can also be found in his Esca fanbook.

jomiel said...

I think I've just been outdone in esoteric Esca information! ;)

Nobuteru also has a few other sexy drawings in the fanbook as well as the filmbook notes. (Scanning filmbook is on my list to do. I just don't understand why my days are busier when I don't have a job D:)

Sincerity said...

This depiction of Van and Hitomi is what first attracted my into anime. I had run across this painting by accident on-line and was curious to know who the characters were.

That was the beginning for me. The world of Escaflowne opened up. But you now what? I think that Van looks a little more like Folken in this painting. His hair isn't dark enough.

Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...I wonder if Yuuki-san did other paintings like this in his other artbooks. I mean, more Van and Hitomi paintings? :-D

yingshan said...

Hi I just stumbled across a blog and thougth I would say hi to a fellow comrade who obsesses over Esca almost as much as I do. :p

I feel the same way about Escaflowne V&H fanart. As much as I love it when they're pretty, I have a very stubborn fixated view on the innocence of their relationship and hentai just seems out of place for them.

I've noticed that the official art of escaflowne varies quite alot from the anime. In some of them van looks drastically different, like he suddenly goes to the gym alot or something. It's slightly wierd!

jomiel said...

Do you mean you obsess over Esca even more than I do?! ;D Anyway, it's good to hear that I'm not alone. I would love it if you would drop by again.

I agree about the art created for publication. It's so shoujo old school.

yingshan said...

I think our fandom-level is comparable *sweatdrop*.
I once risked getting attacked by some swans so I could get these nice white feathers on the ground. I really wanted to have one in my room to remind myself of Van. Hahaha! My family was kind of worried for my safety though :p

jomiel said...

Hahaha.

I only seem to spend time on useless things. I suppose I should put up my 2.5gb screenshots ;3