Friday, March 09, 2007

Hitomi

Previously I had believed in putting pieces of myself within Hitomi in DS. And I think that's why I enjoyed writing Van more, partly perhaps I hesitate to bare certain things for public viewing, and partly because Van had his real voice. But as Hitomi's development will be even more critical than Van's, since she had moved further away from that point 10 years earlier, and as I must know what she thinks of events in ch4-6, it's time to write her real voice.

Let's establish "the facts" first:
Hitomi Kanzaki
25 years old, 12/9, 165cm
University of Toyko veterinary division
4 years junior veterinarian in partnership
lives at home with parents in Kamakura
boyfriend: Sousuke Yamamoto

Since anime/manga creators frequently use astrology signs and blood type as pointers in their characters, here's Wiki's Sagittarius entry:
Individuals born under this sign are thought to have a dynamic, clever, quick witted, intellectual, ethical, humorous, generous, open-hearted, compassionate, and energetic character, but one which is also prone to pridefulness, impulsiveness, impatience, impracticality, and blind optimism. Sagittarians are said to like traveling, getting to the heart of the matter, freedom, laws and meanings, and the general "feel" of things. They do not like off the wall theories, being tied down domestically, being constrained, cooling their heels, and being bothered with details.

And then:
How does 10 years change her to make her more normal?
Look past her ambiguity in her relationship with Sousuke for real feelings.
Memories vs. perception of Van's changes vs. Van's perception of her changes.
What does Hitomi want? What is she afraid of?

In ep26, right before Hitomi sees an image of Van, what was she thinking?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you try to be so specific! ^^

Actually, I could never truly understand Hitomi. I keep wondering... "Why did she leave Gaea?!" and not just what she was thinking in that moment on the beach.
Hmmmm... that scene should have been like this:
She looks out to the sea. Sees Van. Tells Van: "I'm sorry! I was wrong! Take me back!". And then they reunite.

Plus... why did she give Van the pendant?! It was the only way she had of returning to Gaea! (unless she expected Van to come and get her?).

jomiel said...

Very true, I would have stayed with Van, too, hahaha.

Sincerity said...

I think Hitomi matured a lot during the series so that by the time the ending came she understood that she had responsibilities that needed to be finished back home just as Van was facing his in Fanelia as king.

Both of them had a lot to do and I think they might have realized that. And nothing makes you grow up faster than losing a loved one. Van's perspective of life must have changed drastically after Folken's death. He had some grieving to deal with.

Argh! I'm so mad that the series didn't show us more of their mature selves! What did they talk about? Did they share their hopes for the future?

Hitomi cared for Van. Her parting words to him, " I'll never forget you," seem to indicate she would wait for him.

jomiel said...

Thanks, Sincerity. That gave me a lot to think about.

Anonymous said...

I was also wondering what Hitomi might have been thinking in that scene. Van perhaps? And I don't quite understand why other people says that Hitomi cannot go back to Gaea because she'd given her pendant. Is that really the only way to go back to Gaea? I read once in a forum that Hitomi's pendant is only a symbolism. I don't quite understand that. Can anyone probably explain? The fact they chose to part only proves that they matured throughout the series and probably they believe there is always a way to be together. It may take a long time but that time will surely come.
Oh jeez! Now I'm dying again to see an Esca sequel! ...And I thought I had already get over with that idea... :-(

jomiel said...

I think of Hitomi's pendant as her "omoi". Similar to Leon's intentions when he gave the pendant to Hitomi's grandmother, it was a piece of her she could give on top of their relationship already at the end of the series.

Although I dislike this thought, I think that ultimately Van and Hitomi would live their separate lives apart, just like Leon and Hitomi's obaachan. Their destinies and responsibilities carry them toward different futures. So to me, DS is a possibility to bridge between separation and "happily ever after", because there's so many of us who wants that kind of ending for Esca.

As to Sincerity's comment: Ironically I had made it so that Hitomi's growing up made her put Van into her past. It's a great point though, to think more about what Hitomi felt immediately after Esca timeline, and what has changed now.

Anonymous said...

Although I like Esca's ending, it is really very sad, and sometimes I can't help but wonder if love is really enough to bridge two worlds. But I'm completely satisfied that the creators ended it that way. :-) It only proves that Esca is one of the greatest stories ever told.

jomiel said...

I love how your two comments alternated between wanting a sequel and liking Esca's ambiguous ending. It really exemplifies how ambivalent we are as fans--loving what was done and meant, but also never getting enough of it :D

Oh gosh, I really need to finish the details for ch6. Hmm, I'll make a new post to talk about it. So exciting.