Monday, May 12, 2008

Villians

One of the things I am planning to do with DS (the pile of things seem to grow by the day) is the absence of a single-source, demonic villian that we'll be able to point to for every malice and misdeed. I wanted to show the inherit malice possible in ourselves, through selfish actions that people choose without thought or care to its true signal-cascade effects. However, I didn't really have a concrete idea of what could happen until I saw Redbelt this weekend. Its notion of a strong but naive hero, betrayed by friendship and sidelined by good fortune, who will ultimately prevail because of the righteousness of goodness itself.

It wouldn't transfer over to DS directly--mostly because Van is in the position of power (even if dwarfed by other countries in the Alliance) and partly because he isn't really that type of character. Despite Fanelia's relative simplicity, Van distrusts, because of his status and because of his experiences, and then has to make an effort to let people in. But it's not impossible situation to create, for Van would trust someone he believes is reliable. And there are exponentially more possibilities if Hitomi is the harbinger.

The second idea I'm planning recently is the push of humanity evolution. Words get created and dropped. Events become history and become myths. Individuals are born and whole populations die. And soon an age passes. People come in waves to replace each other, to support and uphold their own ways of life. The passing of an age is sad, but full of promises--because the end marks the beginning.


The depressing thing about thinking and planning is that I am not producing anything. But I really, really think that this is necessary in my development, in DS's development. I am learning composure, I am learning patience, I am learning to dig deeper. I want so so much for DS to be an entity--a matured distillation of my dreams and feelings--where the fantasy world is there, ready for people to enter and enjoy and wrestle with their thoughts, until the lingering finish they didn't know they always wanted.

And I thank you for letting me be selfish and do this. For waiting.

No comments: