Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Character Development

Wow, has it really been that long since I last posted? I guess being busy with work and ffxi again really alters my concept of normal time.


I keep going back and forth between thinking up possible conflicts and trying to expand the characters and cultures in DS, but I feel like these past weeks have been just running around in my hamster wheel. Perhaps it's my own inexperience with writing that none of my ideas have pushed me any closer to an actual, solid development for plot. But though I've tried hard to make things happen, I think the root problem is not basing my ideas on what I want to happen with V+H--not just what kind of romantic scenes they could have or what kind of experiences would be interesting--but my focus should be on what would make V+H develop into the characters they could become.

There should be events that make V+H realize their love, grow up more, extend their capabilities, and impact others positively as well as learning. There must be trials and tribulations, and accusations and wrong assumptions, and mistakes as well amends.

This should be a good new starting place.


Recently I've been getting into Shugo Chara, as I mentioned in my other blog. I see a lot of parallels between Van and Shugo Chara's Ikuto--qualities that I love in both. The draw of Ikuto's past and his secrets are so mysteriously boyish and manly at the same time, that I think it would really interesting to develop V+H this way, and the idea of the past is present already in DS even in its beginning ch, that pushing one of DS's themes down this path would be totally possible. Everyone has something they regret, or a secret joy, or a dream they keep only to themselves. Or maybe some confession that they are embarrassed to reveal.

One thing I would really like to know is the mystery of this scene:

5 comments:

Stephanie Van Orman said...

Hiya! I went back to writing Escaflowne fanfiction. I can't escape it for the time being, so I'm back to writing 'Vampire Kiss' on fanfiction.net. I just don't have time to write original fiction. So, I'm going to have fun with amateur fiction.

I really liked what you said in your blog about character development. Your ideas sound great. I hope you can bring it about.

Loads of Love,
Sapphirefly

jomiel said...

Hey! I saw ;) I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet, but it sounds intriguing! I haven't read any vampire books, so I hope I won't be missing any references...

Thanks for the support :D I have been
thinking more about what I want to happen, but still no "defining moment" yet.

It's very depressing sometimes.

Stephanie Van Orman said...

Well, I mention Louis from 'Interview with the Vampire', but if you're not familiar with it - you won't miss the meaning.

You know, I'm impressed that you've stuck with your story this long and you're still making posts on your blog. Most people don't have this much stamina.

Cheers!

jomiel said...

One of my considerations recently is how much time I'd like to write in the future, and how well I think I could write. So far the conclusion for both aspects has been quite poor.

Stephanie Van Orman said...

Yeah, that is a problem. Maybe it would be better to quit then and spend you life on what you really do want to do. Sometimes it really is better to quit. I'd encourage you to keep going, but you should do what makes you happy