Friday, April 18, 2008

Recently...3

Yesterday I started making my collection of Escaflowne screen captures into categories instead of organizing by episodes. I suppose it's a bit overkill to see exactly the carving in chairbacks in the Palas formal dining hall, and how green is the carpet, and what you can see out both sides of the windowed hall--and I know this weekend when I go home again I'm so going to grab my filmbooks (forgot last time) and scan in the maps and layout pages--but this is just the way I am. Obsessed.

Actually, I had copied the screenshots to the new folders because it's not like I will let them go out of ep order, but this is less being obsessed and more about keeping track of what happens in each ep. I find the archive extremely useful as a reference. (Okay maybe this is still obsessed.)


Still deep in research and plotting. Wikipedia is so great. Today's reading is about Emporer Tang Taizong (I read this history when I was a kid so it brought back so many memories, too), and it reminded me that Tyrrhenia in its golden age should be like the Tang period, and Empress Zhangsun is a good model for Elamere. I also read up about Japanese military strategies for a base for Fanelia's system. A similar situation to the Thirty-Eight Year War could be an idea for Goau (Why was he and Balgus out in the field and requiring their guymelefs? There is no explanation ever. Sometimes things in the series are so random, eg Hitomi's gym bag).


A sudden idea (shocking): What is going on in Basram that Van needs to have internal communication there?! Fanelia is such a small and rural country that it's hard to imagine (now) that anything past its borders would be in its consideration--barring anything catastrophic. Though Van has gained allies and good will through his prowess in battle and common sympathy from Fanelia's wanton destruction, there has to be a damned good reason why he's spending resources and men all the way across the Alliance into Basram.

Seriously, what was going in my head when I wrote the first 5 chapters. I dug myself a hole and it's so hard to climb back out. (Don't get me started on ch1. I can't even look at it now I'm so ashamed. /emo wrist slash)

No comments: