Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Hitomi's character

Okay okay, I know I said just a few hours ago I would commit to writing and here I am, back on the blog. It is addicting to just post whatever I want. I did write for 3 hours...on 2 pages.

On my walk home I was thinking about Hitomi's character. So far in DS I've written her as if I'm Hitomi--a bit arrogant to put myself into the story to fulfill my fantasy of Van--but really she is:
- straightforward with her emotions
- impulsive, immediately thinks of what to do (eg pushing Van on the bridge)
- cheerful
- brave, and also doesn't really see potential risks (eg jumping across the cargo hold)
- generous, forgives easily
- takes everything literally, and says what's on her mind--I don't think she's ever made a joke in Esca
- charismatic--she's not a leader but everyone is attracted to her for her qualities, they can't tell her no
- nosy, but genuinely want the best for people (eg Naria)
- persistent, particularly with Van when she thinks she is right
- kind hearted
- loyal
- more timid to contradict older, authoritative men (eg insisting that Allen let her dowse for Van, her relationship with Folken)
- attracted to a "type" of men like Allen and Amano
- packs a lot into her bag, so she is particular of her personal items
- willing to sacrifice for the greater good, especially for her friends

Now that she is 25, she is still impetuous and butting in if she feels like it's her duty as a friend. Her current character in DS is much more reserved, I need to put her emotions and her straightforward talk back into it. Van's character is a bit reserved too but I think I don't quite have a grasp on Hitomi's character and that's why my writing process suffers.

No comments: