Thursday, August 31, 2006

Writing Exercise

So this semester I've started a selfish class in addition to my other ones, creative writing fiction, and today's exercise was very interesting. We were supposed to use only dialogue and character expression to convey a scene between two characters bearing a dead horse (haha), and here's my try (sorry, can't put in tabs):

"Now what are we doing to do?"
"You take the front legs and I'll take the back ones."
"It's too hard, Amis, the head is in the way."
"Try harder."
"There's no grip for leverage."
Amis sighed, short but full of long-suffering. "All right, we can change positions, Lymus."
They grunted with effort, each try as unsuccessful as the last.
"It's too heavy," Lymus whined, doubled over.
Amis panted as he looked around the clearing, "If we have rope and a long stick we can carry him easier."
"That sounds good."
"But we'll also have to keep a watch on him, in case the farmers and their dogs come back. How about you look for the rope and the stick first, and I'll whistle at you if anyone comes by the road?"
Lymus grumbled and drew little circles in the dirt with the tip of his boots, but went.

Maybe I'll look for a book of writing exercises. I had scoffed at them before, thinking that my time as a starting writer would be to just write write write, but it's fun to write something whimsical and naughty.

1 comment:

Sapphirefly said...

That sounds like an interesting class. I'm very jealous!