Saturday, December 02, 2006

Progress Update 13

I reread Dune to prepare for the political landscape and the feeling of Van's authority in the next chs. (Paul Atreides is another awesome character, and the book deals with ecology, politics, concepts of time, and culture. It's one of the best science fiction books, if you haven't read it already!)

And now reorganizing storyline. So painful. A lot of my notes are really just random questions and reminders to myself that have no distinct place in the story:
- how did Goau die?
- clear adversary vs. politics vs. self
- evil not really evil, good not really good
- how old is Varie really?

Or things I have to write pages and pages of exploration to explain to myself:
- relationship between Van and Allen (sword mastery, Balgus, Hitomi, power, their different reactions to losing their family)
- other 2 swordmasters of Gaea
- Hitomi doesn't believe in fate anymore and has no visions -> reality of getting first vision in years, and others' assumptions vs. her thoughts vs. Van's thoughts

I suppose both things are good to have, but condensing all my thoughts into a straight outline is so hard ._, I feel like I should have more short story experience before trying this huge project. Oh well. Just needs more effort and organization and perseverance. Must not lose excitement from last post!

The MBEM cover:

6 comments:

Sapphirefly said...

I'll never understand your way of conducting research. Never.

jomiel said...

Hahaha, I am pretty weird :P

Ugh, I feel like I need to draw a huge association chart or something.

Sapphirefly said...

I was talking about you reading someone else's work to write your own. You said you were reading 'Dune' to prepare yourself to write Van.

As for your association chart - make one! I've done stuff like that.

jomiel said...

I understood that ;) Don't worry, I'm not smart enough to be able to copy much of anything. I merely want the tone and effect, since bumbling along by myself isn't quite enough for what I'd like ch6 to do.

Sincerity said...

Yeah... how DID Gaou die? Was he sick?
You were wondering about how old Varie was before she vanished. I don't know the answer to that either. And that got me wondering about something else.
Do Dranconians have longer life expectancy because of their blood-ties to Atlanteans? Can they sense things that normal humans cannot?
Ack! All this wondering is giving me a headache! :)

jomiel said...

Since the film books, etc. list her age as "unclear" I thought that perhaps draconians have a longer lifespan. So therefore Van and Hitomi (since she's from Earth) and their kids can bring the long life back to Gaea, sort of like Aragorn and Arwen.

Ok, I'm just rambling now :P But! There will be more draconian things coming, hehe.