Sunday, December 03, 2006

Tension 2

I've had the ending 7 chs plotted out for a long time, with some scenes in definite play-by-play. Good to know the arrival point, but the middle section is awfully messy and running everywhere. I think I can condense the events in Palas to cut out a couple chapters and make a faster pace. I also need to interweave in the Critias plot. Stupidly, so far the climax of the story takes place away from H's viewpoint in Fanelia, and that seems a little defeating in itself. Feelings come through character action, after all.

One thought as I go through my notes: I have too many characters T_T Maybe it's not so much trouble if I could just figure out a better way to keep information on them all. Lists are no problem, but character interaction associations are hard to keep. When V+H are in Palas at the trade agreement meeting, I'd like those chs to be full with people and their different agendas. I've briefly touched on this in a previous post, but here's the actual list, just for fun:

- Van v Hitomi
- Hitomi v Allen
- Chid v Allen
- Eries v Allen
- Van v Allen v Dryden
- Millerna v Hitomi v Merle
- Dryden v Meiden
- Aston v Millerna+Dryden v Mia
- Allen v Aston
- Van v Cim
- Cim v Hitomi
- Critias v Hitomi v Van
- Merle v Ramu
- Eries v Millerna
- Hitomi v Meiden+Aston
- Hitomi v countries
- Leal+Belian v Van
- Leal+Belian v Hitomi
- Allen v Celena
- countries with each other (Asturia, Basram, Cesario, Deadalus, Egzardia, Fanelia, Freid)

Maybe I'm overthinking it, lol. But undercurrents of character tension bring more force to top-lying events. And sometimes it's only through interaction that true motives may be known.

2 comments:

Sincerity said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sincerity said...

I think I'm finally getting over a deep rut in my Escaflowne fanfic. And most of my inability to move forward was because of interaction between characters.
See, in my story Folken teams up with Van and Hitomi for an significant period of time, an event that never happened in the series.
All this time I thought my biggest problem was in the story plot. I finally realized that my real issue was in the interaction between Van and Folken.
I was having a hard time seeing how they would behave when forced to work together. And I was briefly tempted to trash the whole fic. But then I read the following on your post and changed my mind.

" But undercurrents of character tension bring more force to top-lying events."

Exactly.