Monday, October 02, 2006

Tension

I now have a bit more idea about what I want ch6 to do. Well, not that I didn't know what would happen, but its general feeling and focus. Last week we read "Labor Day Dinner" by Alice Munro, and interestingly, the story didn't have any specific events happen really, but there was so much glimpses into character and tension that the story pressed smoothly on to the unforgettable ending. One amateur example is a good on-going fanfic I read last week--Bad Dreams. The trade agreement meeting has underlying currents of factions and motives.

So since ch6 is a starting place to gather for the next movement, and we have so many characters come together, I think it would be appropriate to play out the different levels of tension layered on each other. I drew out many today, but the real challenge will be to write backstories for these, and to identify each person's emotions on it.

The other thought today is on Van and Allen's relationship. They seem to dislike each other intensely at the beginning, but that changed in ep4 when Allen said the "never throw away your life rashly" speech, and then when Van flew Escaflowne to draw off Dilandau's group--that was the turning point of their relationship. Afterward, it didn't seemed to be muddled anymore, even when they were in the delicate 3-way balance about Hitomi. I'm going to be having fun with this, I think. It's so amusing to fool with their emotions.

In celebration in rewatching the series for probably the 12th time, here's the scene that decided my fate obsessing over Van:

No comments: