Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Goong

From Sapphirefly's post and link, this weekend I read Goong up to vol 10. It is surprisingly romantic, despite the gender inequality. (Even though the manhwa explained the women's lack of independence and power as court culture, inequality is much more prevalent in East Asia, as can be seen from the public censure of Hyo-Rin and Chae-Gyeong's feelings of inadequacy when Shin is absent.) Some page had said Goong was made in the wake of Hana Yori Dango's popularity (which spawned anime, movies, tv series, as well as Taiwan drama series Meteor Garden), but I see Goong as a cross between manhwa and traditional twists on Cinderella like My Fair Lady--the transformation into a swan is just the beginning, and Chae-Gyeong doesn't change things by reversing traditions and values, but by following them in her own way.

Since Goong is now licensed for the US and fan translations hard to get, I tried out the drama in an effort to finish the story, but seeing Shin change from SoHee Park's beautiful art into a real boy is a total crush of hopes. I find her art similar in style to Kaori Yuki's Angel Sanctuary and Godchild--elaborate hair, beautiful men, women with a gothic romance feel. Now that I'm back in the Bay Area, perhaps I'll go to the rental manga store again and finish the series in Chinese.

As for how this all relates to Esca... It does give me shivers on a new AU story (just imagining Van dressed up in the fashionable male ideal of East Asia like Shin makes me excited), but most of all, the romance in Goong is fantastically self-deprived and slow. And then when it does come, the romance blooms into this dramatic satisfaction. Gives me ideas.

Almost all of my favorite authors updated during the holiday break. I should get going, too.

4 comments:

algelic said...

I can't get my hands on any manga... especially something like Goong. =\

But you know what? The Drama is better than the Manga (in Goong's case), because they have a lot going on for them. Amazing outfits, expressive actors, beautiful scenery, outstanding soundtrack, etc. I mean... it's not a coincidence that Goong was the most expensive Korean Drama ever made (270 thousand dollars per episode).

I advise you to watch the Drama! :)

I'm watching another 2 dramas right now. I'll post some extensive reviews of them in a few days.

jomiel said...

From what you say, I'll give the drama a shot again. I watched part of ep11 on YouTube, and I was heartbroken at Shin personified. I suppose I'm always more interested in the manga counterpart than real guys :P

Read Goong from my link, and see if you like it enough before you try to get actual copies in your hands.

Misunderstood Soul said...

hey ... i was wondering, which of the link should i be pressing so that i can read the goong manga series?

jomiel said...

the one that says "this link"...