Saturday, January 13, 2007

Progress Update 14

I'm having trouble thinking about and finishing ch6. This makes me wonder if it's because I'm subconsciously sensing failure even if I work it to completion. But there's nothing obviously wrong. Hitomi meets Van in the library and they have a conversation. Am I intimidated by their dialogue, the subject, or perhaps what might happen if I let them speak freely? I'm not sure.

I do, however, think a lot about the middle and the end of DS. This week has been very cold, and fitting cold into Hitomi's capture would especially highlight the whole miserable experience. You fist your hands to spark some feeling into them, your toes tingle with hurt when they're in tepid water, the feeling that your hands would never be warm even if they burrow underneath your arms because your whole body has become cold--but of course I have to careful, because descriptions are just words. Actions elicit feelings.

Although, I suppose cold is sort of a strange thing for me to put in, considering that the Esca crew traveled from Fanelia to Zaibach to Asgard, and they never seem to feel cold. In particular, Van and Hitomi regularly traveled at airship altitudes but never seem to feel the subzero temperature. *shiver* (Ironically, the only one with enough sense to wear a coat was Leon, the labeled madman.)


Chibi Hitomi and Van:

5 comments:

algelic said...

Ohhh the chibby Hitomy and Van! =D

I wish you good luck on your fanfic!

Sapphirefly said...

Hmmm ... that was an interesting observation about the temperature in Escaflowne and the fact that only Leon wore a coat. Yeah - way more into the fandom than me.

But your description of cold seemed strange to me - like that's what you read in a book. I know you're from a warm place. Have you ever been really cold? Have you ever felt wind scrape the bones off your flesh or the air so hard into your ear for so long that you were positive there would be perminant damage? Or tried to warm your feet in luke warm water because warm water was dangerous and it felt like daggers and brutally hot? I'm not trying to be a brat, but those sensations you listed seemed pretty mild.

But good luck with your story too. I hope it goes well.

jomiel said...

Perhaps I was being lukewarm generic when I wrote my post, but yah, I've lived in New Hampshire for 4 years ;) Although, not as cold as where you are, I think!

Sapphirefly said...

Thanks for taking that well. I was worried that you'd be offended since a sensation is really not the same to each person.

On the other hand - I wanted to tell you that I have no idea what it's like to be really hot. I have a feeling that I'd go insane if my clothes started sticking to me.

algelic said...

Hi! :) I just dropped by to tell you that I (finally) posted about the Escaflowne soundtrack. Come and visit. ^^