Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year

During vacation, I read The Name of the Rose--it was brilliant in its languages, not only in its English construction (originally written in Italian), but also its Middle Ages structure and its use of foreign languages (mostly Latin, but also Greek, French, German, dialects of Italian, and references to Arabic). The PS section from the author was also interesting. Eco talked about how he conceived the idea and how he worked to its completion. I should find Poe's "Philosophy of Composition" again and reread it.

Again, no updates on DS; I'm sorry ._. I'm trying to find a job and live as much free time as possible, as contradictory as the two sound...

3 comments:

algelic said...

I've always thought that book was Portuguese. I guess it's because the author's name really sounds portuguese. LOL
I know it's a brilliant book. I've been meaning to read it since forever... but I never seem to do it.

I have a tip about a couple of books you might enjoy:
"Follow Your Heart" by Susanna Tamaro. Or "Answer Me" by the same author. She's italian.

Oh.... and a REALLY good one would be "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. One of the best books I've ever read in my life. It's a MUST READ!

Sapphirefly said...

Yep - 'The Name of the Rose' was sure brilliant. But I really wish you wouldn't take writing inspiration from such old books. Whenever I've tried to immitate those sorts of styles I have been HUGELY criticized for being moldy and out of date, even when writing something that was supposed to take place during that era. I just want you to learn my lessons faster than I did, but then of course, you might have a different answer than me.

Good luck with your book.

jomiel said...

Thanks for the book names, Algelic, I'll check them out next time I buy books :)

And Sapphirefly, don't worry ;) Play with language and prose styles are the work of pros, not mine :P I study these books for their effect, not their rules. Otherwise, the husk would be easily penetrated by the readers. At least, that's what I hope I am learning! :D