Tuesday, April 08, 2008

On Writing 2

I still haven't jumped back into prose and paragraphs and sentences and particular words, but this time for real, I think I'm getting closer in preparation. In my previous post on writing, the focus was on editing, but these past couple of weeks have been of a different sort of experience.

Listening to Escaflowne music again while visualizing scenes and pretending characters have helped set me back into Gaea. A little notebook and a good pen force me to think about DS at every idle moment. Some alone time in coffee shops and wait for public transportation are surprisingly productive. And changing my desktop to my DS drawings definitely bring in the mood.

My composition is still awkward, but writing everyday helps, even if it's just this blog or recent anime reviews or emails. I'm sure if I persist in my focus on DS, even if progress is slow, It will eventually find me.

Yesterday I detailed the second to last ch (unless my plan for scenes change dramatically). I get tremendously excited when I get a good idea, and it's tempting and slightly depressing that I can't reveal it here--indeed not until the second to last ch. I hope you will forgive me, even though it's awful of me to wave a cookie but not share. Well, perhaps a chocolate chip: Van and Sousuke will meet.

Considerations tossing around in head right now:
1. Other main characters' developments are too two-dimensional (Allen, Millerna, etc.). What growths or regressions have they had since we saw them last in Esca? How are they impacted and grow by the events and by interactions with V+H in DS?
2. Erected political structures are weak and superficial. Needs more backstories to countries and better representations of the rulers.
3. How are Gaea in general affected by the conflict and then the outcome of the conflict? Do people just go on with their lives without a real knowledge of what has happened like in Esca?
4. Related to 2 and 3, have more important minor characters who we can identify with and see how their lives change. (Esca examples: Voris, Jajuka, Zongi, Miguel)
5. I want to toss my original idea of including the song "Into the Light" into one of the ch, because it's such a common device in fanfiction and basically I did no work except think it illustrates V+H's relationship really well--and then when I wrote down that I've decided to toss it, I feel really sad and lost.


This is the back cover of doujinshi "Euphoria of the Meadow" by Gypsy Queen:

No comments: