Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Japanese 3

Yay, my orders from Yahoo Japan auctions are here! \(^o^\) I flipped through film books 5 & 6 tonight, and will take some time this week to solidify translation on interesting passages. I also got my doujinshi, and it's...pretty wacky. I suppose that's what I get for buying something with the title "Van Fanel Remodeling Plan", hahaha. This will take longer to put up, though, since I'll need to scan and translate fairly accurately.

Speaking of translation, I've been preparing this post on "omoi" for quite a while :P

思い (おもい, omoi) has several meanings: thought, mind, heart, feelings, emotion, sentiment, love, affection, desire, wish, hope, expectation, imagination, experience.

おもい is used extensively in its multifaceted meanings in Esca. It's too bad that there's no real English equivalent, and thus each おもい is translated into different words.
- Leon's revelation that wishs will come true
- the thoughts from Atlantis that created Gaea
- Van's love that brought Hitomi back in ep24
- Folken's cares toward Van
- V+H's emotions that ended the Fate Alternation Machine

The pun on おもい (although not intended by Sunrise) is another word with the same pronounciation, 重い, which means heavy, severe.

One translation I'm always a little sad about is the inability to distinguish very clearly in English the difference between 好き and 愛する, which are both translated "to love". But 好き is closer to "like" than "love". It's commonly used in shoujo manga when the heronine/hero confesses. Hitomi used 好き for her feelings toward Van and Allen, but Allen used 愛する in his moonlight proposal.

Anyway, I've started working on DS again yesterday, and it was amazingly hard to write after not writing for a couple of weeks. The words came awkwardly, and the "effect" spirit was faraway. Really need to write regularly, I suppose.

3 comments:

Sapphirefly said...

Sorry that I don't have anything to say about the Escaflowne information you gathered. I've never been that interested in researching - nor to I think it's particularly necessary for fanfic (where no one makes money).

But the writing stuff I can give you a couple of hints as to how to stay close to your story.
1. Always write in your own voice - then you don't have to remember the sorts of tones you used in other chapters because your laziest voice is always correct.
2. Think about your story all the time - if you think about it all the time - you'll write it all the time (in the shower, on the daily commute, before you sleep at night). Thinking by yourself extensively is the best way to go - it'll keep you motivated better than anything.
3. Make yourself do the whole project on a timeline.
4. Do you have a complete storyboard yet?
5. Don't aim for perfection - aim for completion.

jomiel said...

I think #3 and #5 are the hardest for me ._, I'm really bad at sticking to deadlines when it's not imposed by obligation and necessity. But #2 is the reason why I haven't been working on DS these past two weeks; just haven't been thinking about it that much...

Oh well. Right now I'm rereading Dune to get a feel of the effect I want Van to have in ch6.

It's ok about the Esca research--I write that into the blog mostly for myself ;)

Anonymous said...

Omoi... I myself have been wondering what's the real English equivalent for that word. Anyway, thanks for making this post. I've learned something from it. :)