Monday, November 06, 2006

Van's Thoughts

Finally, finally concluded revisions on Van's part in ch5 (at least until I get comments back). Of course, after my last blog post, I wavered again in my decision to split chs. I suppose I'll see how the clarifications on Leal's part turn out this week. I don't really know anymore ._, I swear, sometimes I feel like the only clear decision I can make is what to eat next.

Today's post is on Van, a popular topic here, I know. More accurately, it's about his damned duality of action and emotion that creates his whole allure but makes getting into that head so hard because he hardly ever admits true feelings and sometimes is so overly masculine in his brevity and statements on the obvious and then turns around into the embodiment of sad expression. Grr. Pant, pant.

So in a previous blog post I had planned to toy around with "projection of a projection", as Van probably would perceive his own feelings as a reflection belonging to others. It was a grand plan. I was almost giddy with my own cleverness.

Except, in my rewriting I couldn't even get past his thoughts, much less even consider his thoughts on Hitomi's thoughts. I've never felt so frustrated in writing for DS since I started in May. As I pictured the scene--Hitomi tending to Melidoul, Van watching--I see Van's expression, unfathomable and precisely why I love him so much, but when I need to report on his thoughts and twist his feelings into prose, I only felt like shaking him and shouting into his ear to tell me what the heck is going on inside.

Ironically, I enjoy writing Van much more than Hitomi. Or at least reading the result. It's like a double curse.

Today's sentence:
Her voice was mellow and her gaze intimate. He was an intruder tumbling into a secret, or perhaps the heavy-booted wayfarer stumbling into the green peace of a nymph grove.

Another doujinshi cover:

2 comments:

jomiel said...

I know, that's his awesomeness :3 Do you think I'm doing too much with my ch, then? :(

jomiel said...

I kept rereading your first post :P "Juxtaposition of his unyielding pride and utter vulnerability" was totally poetic and exactly the phrase I was looking for.