Friday, October 20, 2006

Film Books

The film books didn't really have information on the political structure of Fanelia. There are of course the chief vassals and generals, but the conductor of Van's coronation ceremony was labeled as a possible member of the "literature officials" or 文官 (a class of government opposite to the "martial officials" or 武官). The only other appearance of 文官 in the series was when they opposed Goau's marriage. I can't decide what role they should really play, beyond adminstrative functions. In China history, they were on an equal footing with the military heads, and both should be on the council.

Research and decisions on this makes me feel like Dryden in ep15:


I want to get film book 5 and 6, and today I saw the design record collection on Amazon.co.jp, but with the books and OSTs and my incoming Achewood zip hoody, I think I've spent enough this month for having no job ._. Oh, oh, there is also another Escaflowne treasure that's definately unattainable (it is listed infrequently on ebay for $199)--the Escaflowne fan book, a doujinshi from the designers. If anyone finds its scans, please let me know ; ; Here's a shot I've grabbed from the ebay listing.

Anyway, here are some interesting tidbits from the filmbooks:
  • Van's outfit in ep 1--the armor, sword, shield, and crossbow--are used in the traditional rite of drayingslaying. Nowadays Gaea uses guymelef and melef to fight dragons. The rite for succession is also usually undertaken by Fanelian adult males around age 20, but Van went earlier because there is no king on the throne.
  • The three swordsmasters of Gaea got their name in the past warring era, and are known for their superior strength that matches the power of a guymelef.
  • Allen is famous in Asturia, one of the reasons is his post at the remote border (Castelo) when the other Knights of Caeli are guarding key locations.
  • The roasted insects in ep8 are valued in Fanelia as one of the ultimate food for fighting in the wilderness. When cooked, they taste like shrimp.
  • The wings of draconians are a creation of the power of their thoughts. Feathers from Van's wings cannot normally be seen, but Hitomi unconciously channeled her power to see them.
  • The destruction of Atlantis led to the last ice age. (haha)
  • Allen's sword is a gift from Balgus, named Dragon's Fang, 竜の牙.
  • The big tree on top of Atlantis was a vision created by Van.

3 comments:

Sapphirefly said...

Film books? News to me!

Wow! You sure are hardcore. I can't remember if I thanked you for your answer to my question yesterday, but it sure was helpful. I really appreciate it.

Oh - and what a killer layout you've got going on. Wow! Are you sure you're not a graphics designer. I still am amazed by your art work. Totally awesome!

jomiel said...

Thanks, Sappirefly ^^ But I'm not really good enough to consider a career in art ; ;

Anyway, I got Okami this week and it's been so fun. You might check it out, it's for PS2.

Anonymous said...

Wow very nice info. Do you mind posting other scans from that filml book if ever you have any? I have no luck when it comes to these things since I live in a place where anime stuffs are hard to find. To top it all, I'm having problems with budget. :)