Monday, October 30, 2006

Van and Allen

In the course of everyday life, nothing's scarier than when the internet connection goes down. This weekend, though, thank goodness I had Okami (oh gosh this game is so gorgeous and so damned long) and Escaflowne dvds (up to ep23 screenshots now) to sustain me. While I was watching the series, I realized there were a few things I've missed from DS. Well, if you guys haven't called me out yet, I guess most ff readers won't, either, so I'll just keep quiet o_o;

Recently I've been quite bad and not working on ch5 ._. Instead, I've thought about the more romantic later chs, and also thought about Van and Allen's relationship. I guess they could have turned out like Allen and Dryden, if either Allen or Van were more outspoken and direct. Instead, they had an even more complex relationship than Hitomi and Millerna, Hitomi and Yukari, and Hitomi and Merle (sigh at Sagittarius women and their ability to attract men).

I think my favorite Van and Allen moment is in ep23: they are on Crusade, on their way to the airport in Rampant for war dispatch, and Allen tells Van he asked Hitomi to marry him. Allen's decision to tell Van and Van's response are both very characteristic of their relationship. I have some things planned for them in DS ;3

Also, I wanted to work a lot of guymelef fighting into DS, but there's only limited views at the moment. Remember when I said in a previous post about how the first Escaflowne-to-dragon transformation sealed my obsession to Van? Well, I give you the second time I almost cried (not "omg Van has the saddest kicked puppy eyes ever in ep20", but as in "omg touchdown from the 40 yard line"):

3 comments:

Sapphirefly said...

I think adding the guymefs (spelling?) would be a really good move, and I totally agree with you. Sometimes nailing the interplay between two characters like Van and Allen is extremely challenging. Good luck to you!

Sincerity said...

I think its a neat concept that Escaflowne can transform into " dragon form." I just keep wondering how nobody ever falls out, I mean...I didn't see any seatbelts or anything. :)
Of course Van wouldn't have anything to worry about, but what of his fellow passangers?
Still...I imagine riding it in dragon form would be like riding a motorcycle to the nth degree and with the thrill of added death by " a really long drop."

jomiel said...

Yes, Escaflowne is like the ultimate motorcycle, isn't it?

Well, that's why Hitomi always hugs him on it. I might have a good screenshot for the next post :3