Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Wings and Swords

One thing I never quite understood was why Van stood around waiting for Hitomi to see his wings at the end of ep8. He was so embarrassed and nervous to make sure she would accept them. Chocolatelova and I talked about this a few times, but it's just so mindbloggling to figure out why exactly he was standing there all the way into the night until Hitomi could wake up to see him. (Was a reflection of his emotional state? Did he think Hitomi would accept them and thus wanted to take the chance? Did he wanted to see if she would act like a damsel in distress and kiss him in gratitude?)

Our decisive conclusion so far is that he looks great with his wings against the starry sky.

Without spoiling anything, I can only say that Van's wings will appear again in DS ;3 It will be quite different from other fanfics' manifestations of his wings. And so exciting.

Anyway, in doing my quest to screencap almost everything of note in the series (finished ep8 today), I finally figured out where Van keeps his dagger (in his left boot, but I won't be correcting DS ch4 because it's already posted) and how his sword hangs. It's linked with one ring on the scabbard, then that locks on to 2 rings on both sides of his belt. Both the belt ring and the scabbard ring have release, making it possible to take off the sword with and without the belt.

Like this:


I don't know why Fanelia's royal sword has a ring on the end of the handle though. That's so cheap to me -_- Although, since the crest is on the inside, maybe the whole point to the sword is to make its kingly identity quiet.

The other thing confusing about swords--why do their swords make sound when they are just readjusting their hold or their position? That doesn't seem to make sense. There shouldn't be any parts to make the sound.

4 comments:

Sincerity said...

Its funny that you mention Van waiting around for Hitomi to wake up. I've wondered the same thing. Hmm. Strange. Maybe he did some flying around while she slept because he doesn't get to fly often?
And I never realized that the Fanelian sword has its royal crest facing inwards! But I'm glad you pointed it out. Tres cool!

jomiel said...

That's one of the reasons Chocolatelova thought, too. I don't know. I think Van wanted her to see them, because deep down he wanted to know if she will accept them?

Unknown said...

I think the reason their swords make sounds is to make those scenes more dramatic. There's nothing dramatic about silence when it comes to swords ;)

kiwilite said...

Cool, I´ve thought about that wing scene a lot, too. Finally I came to think he either
couldn't make the wings go away so easily because he hadn't used them for so long or he didn't know how to retract them or something like that...so he had to wait until they disappeared without his help ^^'
or
he wanted Hitomi to see them for some reason (maybe the one which jomiel mentioned)

Anyways, very nice blog, jomiel. You really go into details with your esca-research. I'll make sure to read your FF. Keep it up!