Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Japanese

In the filmbooks there was an interesting bit about when Hitomi offered to have Allen test her when he first refused her help in finding Van in ep4. I always thought Allen's particular look was surprise at her forwardness and persistence, as strongwilled women seemed scarce in the culturally uptight Asturia. But the filmbook says it's because Hitomi said "testo"--an English word taken into Japanese vocabulary, and one obviously foreign to Gaea.

So this would be perfect for some more communication confusion in DS (albeit with some notes at the end of the chs), except that I remember very little of the Japanese I learned ._. Well, actually, even if I did remember everything, my questions are pretty weird. Like, what's the difference in "haha-ue" and "okaasama"? They're both old honorific usage for "mother". But it's not a regional difference between countries, as Van and Allen (and Chid, I think) both say "haha-ue" while Millerna and Eries use "-sama". I suppose it could be gender. I'll have to rewatch the scene when Celena addresses Allen (ep24?).

Today's question: would Hitomi choose to use "pro" or "senmon" to say "professional" as an adj? I guess it depends on her vocabulary style @_@a

1 comment:

jomiel said...

I know, it'd be so much more accurate to say Allen-san and Dryden-san. Maybe I'll try it out in my ch and see if it slows down the dialogue too much.