Sunday, June 18, 2006

Feelings

There's something about female friends that I can never find from male friends. I'm not sure what the precise quality it is--companionship? ability to rant together? understanding of feelings?--but it's absolutely fantastic to feel very depressed and confused about a certain situation, and your friends accept you as you are, and even though you guys might not discuss very much about it or think of a solution to solve the problem, at the end of the talking session, you feel so much better.

Perhaps it's all in gender differences to how we react to crisis. Relationship pyschology books say that when males perceive problems, they immediately want to fix it, but when females perceive problems, they immediately want to talk about it.

Because of this, I have planned for Hitomi's mother and Yukari to know about Hitomi's experience on Gaea. I make Hitomi come back to Japan into the same situation at the school nurse's office, so although there's no difference in their lives besides her missing pendant, Hitomi must be feeling so many emotions from everything that happened on Gaea, from her separation with Van, that despite it being so private into her own self, she has to tell someone who would understand implicitly and completely. And although it's such an outrageous tale, that someone would, in the end, accept everything about Hitomi.

This will also be important in Hitomi's relationships with Van and Sousuke, because besides being about sacrifices and compromises, relationship is also about trust, self-reliance, and knowing when to let go.

2 comments:

algelic said...

Yeah you're right Jomiel, females always want to talk about it. Guys should talk a little more too...

Well... if I were you I'd probably just make Hitomi tell Yukari, but not her mother. LOL but that's me. I think that we tell the most important things to our best friends and sometimes keep important stuff from our parents. Uuuuhhh I can imagine it right now... if it were me I'd put Yukari helping Hitomi to lie to her mother. Yeah... that's typical me.

jomiel said...

I think our relationship to our mother changes as we age ^_~ I think Mark Twain said it was- as we get older, our fathers get smarter.