Monday, June 26, 2006

Van of Fanelia

As I'm writing about Van in ch 3, I like what I'm giving to his character, but I'm not sure if it's too transparent by noting it out in the narrative. Perhaps I should instead make it a little mysterious, a surprise for the reader to find?

Here's one of the paragraphs in consideration:
"It wasn’t that he was ungrateful of his lineage, or despised his status. On the contrary, the weight of his obligations were so imbued into each decision since early childhood, that the understanding of “I am Fanelia” no longer intruded into his thoughts, except in times of doubt when his policies enforced greater good at the price of individual grief."

And as I'm detailing out the political landscape, I find myself building Van and Fanelia, too. It started with a question my boyfriend raised: If Van and Escaflowne are so powerful, then other countries must have strong motivations for their actions toward Hitomi.

But, I think I'm making Van too perfect. There needs to be some selfishness, some secret thoughts, some irresponsibility. Maybe I'll make him revert a little to his former self.

3 comments:

jomiel said...

I like the suggestion about Van clinging to his duty as a coping mechanism ^^; Sapphirefly had pointed out early in my writing process that it's what he's been preparing for all his life.

I'm not sure about rash decisions, because I've made him a calmer character (one would hope 10 years has changed that aspect), although he's stuck in a certain perspective, a problem different from HItomi's. Hmm.

algelic said...

Okay... my first comment is "YOUR BOYFRIEND UNDERSTANDS WHAT YOU'RE WRITING?! THAT'S SOOO COOL!!!"

*cough* now that I've said that...

I think you've made Van misterious enough. Yes, burying yourself in your work is the biggest coping mechanism!
Dooooooooon't make Van a dense idiot! I hate it when I read fanfics where the romance between Hitomi and Van is there for all to see but both of them take FOREVER to finally admit their feelings to each other... or express them.

Van needs weaknesses? Hmmm I don't think so.

jomiel said...

No, Van won't be dense, haha. He'll realize his feelings soon enough, although maybe not as soon as you might like? ;3