Saturday, June 03, 2006

Progress Update 2

Yesterday night, I edited half my storyline, and it's now a lot tighter--18 chapters instead of 25. I moved quite a bit of scenes around to more logical places, added more interaction between characters, and decided on most of the chapter titles. Ironically, project title is still at large.

Things to do:
  1. finish editing second half
  2. more interest to the series' minor characters, for flavor and diversity. It's like pepper.
  3. love trianges needs more excitement. Maybe there needs to be more secrets.
  4. after climax of the story, it loses steam, and the main political tension that bursts at the very end becomes so blah.
  5. what should challenge V+H's bond?
  6. hints of future events, besides war
  7. character sketches for new characters: Leal, other advisors, Ramu, Cesario's diplomat, Cesario's king, Cesario's chief minister, Basram's president, his newphew

I really want my project to be something special. Despite how the "make sense" ending rips my heart out and stomps on it, I've been obsessed with Escaflowne for years. Hell, I've been obsessed with a little 15 year old boy for years. I know that the story would probably turn out okay anyways, because Van and Hitom are such strong characters, but I really want to put in the effort to adhere to the series, to create a possible continuation story, to pay my homage to Escaflowne staff. I really want to put in the effort to make it delightful for readers who are just as obsessed as I am.

Although, the ultimate want for all of us is probably just a Van to call our own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Van to call our own, indeed! :)

I've been using the research sites you listed, and they've been very helpful! Especially the map of Gaea. I can't believe how off I was on so many things...

jomiel said...

It's not very easy to generate our own map from information in the series :P