Friday, June 02, 2006

Tributes

Yesterday night I was rereading my favorite stories on ff--in particular, Chocolatelova's prologue for The Last Night of the World--and I thought to myself, I wish that ff allows a star rating, or at least some way I can recommend stories and write my comments to them in my profile.

The next best thing, of course, was a fanfic tribute system within my stories. These Escaflowne fanfics stand out in significance in my reading on ff:

Angel of Fire - Wink57CS
Because I don't know what love is, Angel of Mine - Dariel
Mystic Eyes - Aishuu
Princess of La Vallex - Aurora-sakura
Dragon's Moon, Mystic Wings, Mark of a Goddess - Sapphirefly
The Last Night of the World - Chocolatelova
And Along Comes Prince Charming - Dahee Fanel
Dearly Beloved - Starry Eyed Wonder
(Hmm, did I miss anything?)

I admire these authors in one aspect or another. I will definately write a long paragraph on each of these, how they changed my perspective on characters, how they changed the way I felt about writing, and their special details that stand as mementos to my Escaflowne obsession.

For some reason, only two are continuation of the series. Sapphirefly had thought it was because AU is much easier to write. Hmm...?

2 comments:

Sapphirefly said...

No - I don't think that AU is easier to write - I think continuation is easier to write since more than half the story has already been written for you.

I think AU is more pleasurable to read ~_^!

jomiel said...

Hmm, I'm not sure I agree with continuation being easier to write because there's already a story. We would have to deal with an existing work that already has its own style, themes, goals, characterizations, and expectations. It's hard to match that same intensity of tone, story pacing, and storytelling elements.

Although, no matter if it's AU or continuation, it's done out of our love for the original work. It's always hard to try to match the level of genius, when it's something so close to our hearts and we want to make it as good as we can.