Friday, June 02, 2006

Progress Update

Yay, finished the key scene in ch 19 tonight. I've been skipping around the story this week, planning the romantic chapters, testing out the dialogue. The distinction between fluffy and sappy dialogue is sometimes a thin line ; ;

The romance portions definately are superior to my other scenes, although it had been a struggling exercise to adhere to a character-limited third person narrative. The omniscient narrator is just too distant and confusing for snuggly scenes. I'll have to go back and fix the narrator who ran away with her thoughts in ch 15.


Sapphirefly had challenged me to add more plot detail to each chapter, and to condense some of the less exciting ones, but unfortunately I haven't been a good girl and worked on it very much. Part of the problem is my stupid obsession to have as many chapters as episodes in the series, although I really don't have enough character development and subplots beyond the Van + Hitomi romance to make this long haul exciting all the way. I had planned to drag out the existing characters, and do some character interaction, but so far it's only two minor subplots, and superficial story development.

Perhaps I should think about a new character, like Josceline (/love), or even Armand.

Definately need to settle down on some real chief vassal names, though. We can't have the Horn, Tusk, and Claw Army leaders be nameless.


I really liked Sapphirefly's title for the story, Tracing the Way to You, but I feel it's a little too long. I also use a lot of water scenes and imagery (I hope this isn't my inner pervert coming out), so I was thinking about having some sort of water title, like Catch the Rain, only less dumb.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about "Traces of Rain?" It's enigmatic and captures elements of both titles you mentioned. Haha, and I don't know what I'm talking about :P

If you want your fic to have as many chapters as episodes in the anime, one thing you could do is write it using "working" chapters and later on divide the fic into 26 parts (e.g. chapters). Even then, it may not make sense to divide it into that many chapters, but it's a lot less constraining than feeling like you have a quota you need to reach while the work is still in progress.

In terms of subplots and such, I would really try to spend the time to develop them. I think it's hard to tell a love story that's meaningful unless there are circumstances that enhance or challenge it to make it really shine through. They don't have to be subplots that extend through the whole fic, either. Maybe spanning 2 chapters or so. But it may not be a bad idea to have one subplot or ongoing major plot to run alongside the love story.

jomiel said...

You're right about the stupid quota; I should drop that. It's more of the desire to make it as exciting as the series. I really liked the storylines about Folken, Leon, Allen's confusion over sister figures, Naria and Eriya, etc., because it takes the sharp lines between black and white away, and we get to think about what really is right, or think that perhaps there is no exact right thing to do.

I'll think about what you said ^^

Hmm, Traces of Rain...