Thursday, July 06, 2006

Deadline

I've thought about my ff.net posting timeline a few times, but after reading Jossi's question, perhaps I should set a real deadline.

I procrastinate in almost all habits in my life. Man's desire for zero stimulus, I guess. Left to my own devices, I would get up in early afternoon, eat ramen and ice cream, game, and go to bed at dawn. Thankfully, school, work, and relationships' requirements for standard hours had kept me anchored to a life bordering on reasonable human limits. So, since this is a hobby that none but online friends are interested in, it's naturally set to my "whenever I feel like it" time.

It's time to be serious, if I really want to accomplish this project. Only complication with plan: each additional change to my writing takes exponential amounts of time.

New chapters and scenes are half to one hour for a page. Decent pace, considering my frequent practice on procrastination ceiling of 20 page papers in three days. But revisions to initial draft take hours. I conpulsively look up definitions to find the exact word that fits. Comments from Chocolatelova take me an hour to fix each paragraph.

Agh, I'm just making excuses. Okay. Finish ch 1-5 by end of July, and start posting on ff.net.


Haven't written today yet; yesterday's was:
The air was fragrant with herbs and tiny star-shaped white flowers that speckled the soft ground and peeked through gray blades and patches of briar.

3 comments:

Sapphirefly said...

Yeah, I'd say so. I thought for sure you would have posted the first chapter while I was moving my can, but when I got back online and checked your profile. You hadn't started yet. I think you'd find it really beneficial to your motivation levels if you were to release a chapter. The reviews and comments would spur you on to write more.

I'd tell you to release TODAY! But you probably don't feel ready.

algelic said...

Yup, I agree with Sapphirefly.

Reviews really are a BIG incentive. Like, imagine that you write your WHOLE story in advance... and only then you publish... and imagine that you get NO reviews in your first chapter. That would SUCK! But at least it would tell you if you were heading in the right direction.

I've published 4 chapters so far... and ALL of them got 8 reviews each. I'm very happy to be getting reviews! ^^

jomiel said...

You guys are right that I should publish soon. Not today though, lol. I still haven't gone back to ch 1 and 2 yet to finish editing all the comments Sapphirefly and Chocolatelova gave me.